News for the Week of March 12th
- The spelling and reading words test for lesson 20 will be tested this Friday the 16th.
- It's hard to believe we're already starting the 4th quarter! Where has the time gone? 3rd quarter report cards will be posted this Thursday.
- Just a reminder that IXL is a great resource for extra math practice at home. Under the math curriculum for the week you can find the coordinating IXL skills. If you are unable to access your child's account please let me know and I can send you their login info.
- We highly encourage spending some homework time each night practicing addition and subtraction facts. Students have moved from fact fluency with sums and differences of 20, as opposed to only 10. As we move into higher-level thinking math concepts, such as mental math, these concepts will be much more challenging if students don’t have a solid foundation in their math facts.
Third Quarter Expectations
As we are entering into the 3rd quarter we've talked as a class about some new expectations that will help us best prepare for second grade. Our class is growing in independence every day and I'm so proud of how far they've already come. Our new 3rd quarter expectations are as follows:
- For students still learning to tie their shoes: practice those fine motor skills and practice tying your shoes a little each night. Practice makes perfect :)
- Less warnings for incorrect uniform (they lose a personal responsibility point each time they have their shirt out or incorrect uniform).
- We will be reading the directions less to them, as well as not reading each item on a work page. They will be doing more independent work.
- They are expected to write complete sentences in vocabulary and in all their writing. Using a capital letter and an end mark.
- Number and letter reversals will be marked wrong, as we want them to be more aware of their printing. They have several places to look and check the formation and direction of letters and numbers. This will also be the case on spelling tests.
- Letters that are written with a capital letter that are not a proper noun, or the start of a sentence will also be marked wrong.
- All papers will require the child’s first and last name, their number and the date.
1C WISH LIST ITEMS NEEDED
Below are some items that would be useful in our classroom:
- Playground equipment: soccer ball, frisbee
- White Cardstock
- Colored Cardstock
- ETA hand2mind Rekenreks Sets
- Unifix Letter Cubes