Welcome to First Grade!
- We won't have school next Monday for Martin Luther King Day.
- This Friday is a Pride Day and Buck-A-Swean and Jersey Day. For a $5 donation to the eighth grade mission trip students can wear jeans or sweats with their favorite jersey.
- As we continue to accept kindergarten applications for the 2019-2020 school year, please consider recommending St. John to your family and friends. We are currently accepting applications for all grade levels. The deadline for Kinder applications is January 18th!
As current families, our re-registration will take place in February. Be on the lookout for more information!
- As we are entering into the 3rd quarter we've talked as a class about some new expectations that will help us best prepare for second grade. Our class is growing in independence every day and I'm so proud of how far they've already come. Our new 3rd quarter expectations are as follows:
- For students still learning to tie their shoes: practice those fine motor skills and practice tying your shoes a little each night. Practice makes perfect :)
- We will be reading the directions less to them, as well as not reading each item on a work page. They will be doing more independent work.
- They are expected to write complete sentences in vocabulary and in all their writing. Using a capital letter and an end mark.
- Number and letter reversals will be marked wrong, as we want them to be more aware of their printing. They have several places to look and check the formation and direction of letters and numbers. This will also be the case on spelling tests.
- Letters that are written with a capital letter that are not a proper noun, or the start of a sentence will also be marked wrong.
- All papers will require the child’s name, their number, and the date.
Overall, we are really working on personal responsibility with the children. We want them to be aware of their work and their own learning. We know that the children will rise to this expectation. Thank you for your support in this at home as well!
1C WISH LIST ITEMS
Below are some items we could use in our classroom:
- brown crayons
- peach crayons
- Clipboards (low-profile)